- Kindergarten to grade 8 Regular
- English with Core French
- Middle French Immersion including English
- Autism K - 8
Clubs and Activities
- Enviromental Club
- Leadership Club
- Chess Club
- Lego Club
- Instrumental music
- Competitive sports
- Intramural sports
- Nutritional services
- Breakfast program
- Multicultural Liaison Officer program (two days per week)
Facilities and Resources
- Dual platform school
- Gym and exercise room
- Split level
- Large green space and renovated play areas
- Fenced play structure
Special Education and ESL Programs
- Featherston is an inclusive school that is enriched by the program for children with autism
- Almost 300 of Featherston students speak English as a Second Language and are learning French as a third or fourth language
- Individual Educational Programs are developed and implemented for more than 100 students
Measures of Student Achievement and Success
- Student Achievement is measured in a variety of ways at Featherston Drive P.S. The following are some of the methods we use:
- Student portfolios and student-led conferences
- Cooperative work groups, peer-, self-, and teacher evaluation
- Teacher made quizzes/tests
- Teacher observation/checklist and rubrics
- Traditional report card and parent-teacher interviews and conferences
- At our annual School Leaving Ceremony, grade 8 students are recognized for a variety of their social, athletic, artistic, and academic accomplishments.
- Student assemblies, celebrating citizenship.
- Our students participate in the provincial testing.
Our Leadership Club, under the direction of two staff members, serve as representatives of the student population and organize events and activities for the benefit of all Featherston students. The Leadership Club coordinates many school events such as school spirit days, Hallowe'en, Winter, and Spring activity days for all students, raised funds for Free the Children, and participated in Right to Play activities. Our students also show leadership and school spirit in sports, where they represent our school proudly at various regional and board events. In addition to informal recognition on a regular basis, we also acknowledge their contributions in our classrooms, school announcements, newsletters, assemblies, our principal’s report to school council, and end-of-year awards ceremonies.
Our dedicated staff members have a wealth of professional qualifications including Bachelors and Masters degrees in Arts, Physical Education and Sciences, as well as additional qualifications in Special Education, English as a Second Language, French as a Second Language, Music, Visual Arts, Guidance, and Computers in Education. As life-long learners, they actively participate in numerous Board-wide professional development activities in literacy and numeracy, and we recognize their initiative by providing and supporting opportunities for further professional growth. We also recognize staff leadership via personal interactions with one another, letters of thanks, school announcements, school newsletters, assemblies, performance appraisals, and our principal’s report to school council.
Featherston is fortunate to have many dedicated volunteers who work with our students and staff on a regular basis. We are pleased to have the support of committed volunteers in support of our instrumental music program, and in our classrooms reading to students and supporting our teachers. Our dedicated school council meets monthly and they work collaboratively with school staff to plan activities and fundraising events to support our school. As invaluable partners, we thank our parents, guardians and volunteers on an on-going basis, and look for opportunities to acknowledge them such as school announcements, our principal’s report to school council, school newsletters, and our annual volunteer appreciation breakfast.